Here are some recent work-related articles from the mainstream press that I enjoyed and you might too …
- This NY Times piece on happiness and wandering minds reinforced for me why I often love working in quiet places with no distractions.
- That said, I do love Affinity Lab for its vibrant, entrepreneurial community. It was great to see them mentioned (and Phillipe pictured!) in this NY Times article on DC’s growing tech scene.
- Not everyone sees the future so bright for DC startups. In CNN Money, a local entrepreneur argues that Washington’s focus on status and “bigness” prevent it from becoming a startup hub like Silicon Valley. His conclusion: “Maybe it would help all of us if the powerful folks in fancy suits came out to Barnes & Noble, sat on the floor, and learned what it takes to create something from nothing.” Ouch.
- Think bonuses are the best way to motivate employees? Read this Washington Post article, which is consistent Dan Pink’s argument in Drive.
- Does Google reward businesses that treat their customers so badly that they complain loudly? Sometimes yes, according this great Sunday front-page NY Times piece from late last year.