Director of User Experience
New Haven, CT
Director of User Experience
New Haven, CT
As a digital anthropologist-turned UX researcher, I’m driven by questions about how people interact with technology, media, and each other. At Marketade I have the perfect opportunity to apply my training in qualitative research methods in a way that makes a difference to real people. We answer practical questions that directly advance the goals of our clients by improving the experiences of their users. I firmly believe that collaboration is the key to high quality work.
Over the last 5 years, I led the charge to transition Marketade from a report-writing and -delivering machine to the collaborative, workshop-loving research and facilitation team that we are today. I would always rather teach a client to fish, and I equip my team with the tools to do the teaching. I do everything I can to ensure that the talented researchers on my team are able to build on each other’s strengths and complement the skills of our clients to achieve the best results.
- Insurance — I led the design, launch, and growth of an ongoing research program to improve the web platform used by a Fortune 500 insurance company’s 8,000+ customer service agents. I built a growing panel of nearly 2,000 phone agents, and ran iterative research studies on a biweekly schedule, leveraging both qualitative and quantitative research methods. The program has received awards and recognition and led to similar research programs in other areas of the company.
- Fitness Technology — I co-led a research project impacting the future product direction of a new smart home fitness device. I visited product owners in their homes across the country and observed them complete workout sessions on the device. I used recordings of these sessions to facilitate a 2-day workshop to develop user personas and journey maps which were distributed throughout the company.
- Health Care — I provided strategic direction and support on a number of user research projects that Marketade led for a clinical trial participant registry over a period of 3 years. These projects included interview-based personas, registration flow usability testing, research referral dashboard concept testing, and UX reviews of a trial search feature.
- Government — I served as the lead researcher for our research-based UX evaluation of a global economic organization’s data platforms. I designed the research, moderated many of the test sessions, and facilitated the on-site workshop.
- My Master’s dissertation explored the topic of altruism and gift-giving on Reddit. I conducted online and in-person semi-structured interviews to explore the motivation behind generous behaviors towards strangers on the Internet.
- I worked with the Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee to design and launch a social media platform to enable collaboration and coordination for nonprofits across the city of Milwaukee.
- I provided marketing and social media consulting for the nonprofit sector.
- My undergraduate thesis analyzed the differences in user experience for radio and podcast listeners.
- M.Sc. from University College London, in digital anthropology
- B.A. from University of Vermont, in anthropology (with minors in music, theater, and biology)
Outside the Office
- I love exploring the various parks, trails, and festivals that New England has to offer with my daughter Bailey, wife Stephanie, and our dog Doc.
- I am an avid podcast listener. A few of my favorites are Reply All, Startup, The Digital Human, Pop Culture Happy Hour, 99% Invisible, Boag World, and Manager Tools.
- I am passionate about cooking and baking, and love to host dinner parties where I can try out new recipes for friends.
- I am a music enthusiast, and play the guitar and piano, in addition to dabbling in congas, Indian veena, and Javanese Gamelan. I was a DJ for my college radio station.
- I once spent a semester working on a goat farm, milking goats and making cheese.
Recent Articles on Medium
- Qualitative User Research
- Usability Testing
- User Interviews
- Affinity Mapping
- User Research Training
- Workshop Facilitation
- Design Thinking Training
- Research Moderation
- Journey Mapping
- Design Sprint Facilitation
- Qualitative Market Validation
- Concept & MVP Testing
- UX Audits
- IA & Navigation Testing