Healthcare UX Research Services
Need to conduct usability testing on healthcare software, applications, or websites? Need to run user research with patients, doctors, technicians, or other audiences? Our small research agency has deep experience working with a wide range of health and medical organizations, including:
- Major regional health systems like UVA Health, Mount Sinai, and Banner Health
- Health research organizations like NIH
- Clinical trial organizations like WCG and Alzheimer’s Prevention Registry
Recent Health & Medical User Research Work
UVA Health System — UX & Content Testing
2 studies for this major health system with the #1 hospital in Virginia: 1) mobile/desktop usability testing of their primary site for patients and caregivers, supplemented with a website survey; 2) content testing and navigation testing of UVA’s Cancer Center site.
NIH — Mixed Methods User Research
Large-scale project to understand attitudes and motivations among Black and Latinx populations for joining a health study. Multiple rounds of qualitative UX testing on prototypes, with iterative design improvements throughout. Plus large-scale quantitative UX testing.
GoodRx — User Research Training
Usability testing training for product and design teams at GoodRx, the leading U.S. marketplace for affordable and convenient healthcare. Multiple rounds of research training conducted remotely. Topics included test planning, analysis, ideation, and reporting.
Banner Health — Ongoing Research Program
Multi-year user research program to drive UX improvements for the Banner Alzheimer’s Institute’s registry portal. Ran monthly remote workshops where stakeholders observed research, reached consensus on problems, and brainstormed solutions.
Mount Sinai — App Usability Testing
Rapid usability testing of a new web app for cancer survivors developed by Mount Sinai’s Icahn School of Medicine. Remote testing with 10 cancer survivors and 6 caregivers prior to launch. Generated solutions for 30 UX problems uncovered during research. Read the case study.
Top Pharma Company — UX Audits
3 UX audits for a top 20 global pharma company, in partnership with a large U.S. ad agency. Used human factors evaluation methods for 2 consumer websites and 1 professional site — supplemented with analytics and session replay data. Prioritized 75+ recommendations.
“The facilitation was great. Awesome to think about problems this way.”
Our Process for Healthcare Projects
While our consultants customize each project, many of our health user research projects follow this 5-step approach.
We reach alignment on your project goals, research questions, audiences, KPIs, and logistics.
We deliver a summary report with all analysis findings, solution ideas and research recordings.
We facilitate a 1-day remote workshop with research observation, analysis, and ideation.
We conduct a rigorous recruiting and screening process to find representative users. With healthcare clients, we increase our focus on PII and privacy protection.
We moderate 1:1 research sessions, and sometimes supplement this with quantitative research.
“I loved learning the end-to-end process. Learning how to draft questions based on desired outcomes was super helpful — as was learning to synthesize the findings.”
Healthcare Case Studies
Want to learn more about our work before you speak with us? Check out a few of our case studies.
- Helping Mount Sinai Improve Cancer Patient Health Through Usability Testing — With a launch date looming for a team at Mount Sinai’s Icahn School of Medicine, Marketade led rapid UX testing to improve an app for oral cancer survivors.
- How to Launch a Website Survey that Drives UX Insights & Action — As part of a qual/quant research study for a major regional health system, we ran 2 short surveys that achieved actionable insights at a minimal cost to the user experience.
- No UX Testing Allowed: Improving Pharmaceutical Websites with a Human Factors Heuristic Evaluation — When FDA regulations made usability testing too difficult to conduct, we conducted a rigorous heuristic evaluation of a pharma website for consumers.
- Helping a University Health System Website Do Its Job — Facing a platform migration, a web services team was eager to find and fix UX problems with its public website. We led mixed methods research and facilitated a 1-day workshop to align the team on their top 3 opportunities.
"A fantastic little agency that does amazing work."
Why Healthcare Teams Pick Marketade
We’re small … and love big challenges.
As a nimble team, we’re a great fit for healthcare teams facing bureaucratic hurdles, regulations, or a slow-moving culture. While some agencies complain about these challenges, we embrace them. We adapt our process to meet your constraints and collaborate to find solutions or workarounds.
We take PII seriously.
Through our work with teams in healthcare, financial services, government, and digital security, we understand the importance of protecting PII and user privacy. We have integrated key steps into our recruitment, research, and reporting processes to meet the requirements of most health and medical organizations.
We drive alignment.
Health, medical and pharma organizations are among the most siloed. When teams lack alignment, research gets ignored by those who don’t like the conclusions, and fails to drive change. Our “team sport” approach brings a diverse group of stakeholders together to observe and analyze research. This process works wonders at building alignment on your biggest problems and opportunities.
We love complex products.
If you need research related to complex healthcare software or medical applications, you’ll be in good hands with our consultants. We roll up their sleeves every day to interview users and moderate UX testing of complex digital products. We also write research plans and recruit niche audiences for nearly every project we lead. You’ll benefit from all this experience throughout your project.